Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Whitehorse, Yukon Territory Canada

Today was a short driving day and now we have our first real evening of free time to walk around a spend however we want. And wouldn't you know it, Whitehorse is the saddest, most desolate place on Earth. It's not tiny or empty, there are stores and bars and restaurants and whatnot; but it just has this run down vibe and it doesn't seem to be the least bit tourist friendly. TV is not a good distraction, although for some reason all the channels we get are from random ass places--Seattle, Detroit, Rochester. You can only spend so much time on the internet. This place is really lame. There is a pretty big skate scene here, if only I had brought my board and was twenty years younger. I think a big part of the problem is I'm not ready just yet to sit around in my own head and think about what brought me here and where I'm going.

Saw some more moose today, and more beautiful vistas. We're almost to the end of our journey and I suppose that, besides the obvious financial requirements I need to address, I'm also ready to find a way to settle in and just start my summer up here. I'm kind of hopeful, but also still detached or removed from the whole thing. It's almost like I'm interested in seeing what happens as if it was someone else's life. I guess the most optimistic way to say it is I'm full of wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment